How to add a Syllabus to your Moodle Course - Three Methods: from quick to good practice
Adding a syllabus to your Moodle course can be quite simple. However, what are all the options and what might be the best practice approach? This tutorial demonstrates:
- Adding a "file" Word version of your syllabus.
- Adding a "file" PDF version of your syllabus.
- Adding a "page" version of your syllabus (best practice)
Moodle - Resource - File - Adding and Updating Files (Word, PowerPoint, Excel....) in Your Moodle Course
Step by Step Tutorial
Method 1: Adding a Word version of your syllabus
- Turn Editing on in your Moodle Course
In the location where you wish to add your syllabus, at the bottom of the block click "Add an activity or resource" and select "File" from the list and click "Add".
- In the Adding a new File page fill in the Name field (Description field is optional).
- In the Content area click the "Add" button
- Change the Options > Display to "New Window"
- Click the Save and Return to course button at the bottom of the page.
Method 2: Adding a PDF version of your syllabus
- Create a pdf of your Syllabus
- Mac - Open your Word Document, Print, and click the PDF button at the bottom of the print dialog box.
- Windows- Open your Word Document, Windows, Save As, Other Format, and select PDF from the Save As Type selector box.
- Follow the remaining steps as in Method 1 above to add the PDF "file" to Moodle.
Method 3: Adding a "Page" version of your Syllabus to Moodle
- Add a resource and select "Page".
- On the "Adding a new page"
- Add a Name to the Name field.
- Click on the "Paste from word" tool in the Moodle editor toolbar.
- Copy all from your Word version of your syllabus and paste into the Paste from Word box. Click Insert.
In the Options set the Display setting to Open.
- Click "Save and return to course"