eFolioMN Step by Step Instructions
eFolio MN is now private and is no longer used by Bethel. We now recommend the use of Google Docs for a repository portfolio or Google Sites for a web based portfolio.
A brief tutorial to assist you in setting up and building your eFolio Minnesota Portfolio. You can get additional assistance from TLT in the BU Library, via email to email@example.com, or 651-635-8527.
Download pdf print version of this document: efolio-instructions.pdf
- At http://efoliomn.com check out the "Resources" and "Online Support"
- Use the "?Help" icon at lower screen right in your eFolioMN work space
- Contact Bethel University's Teaching and Learning Technology team at firstname.lastname@example.org
These YouTube tutorials from William Underwood Jr., St. Cloud State University are also very helpful.
- eFolio Video 1: Introduction to The eFolio Administration Area
- eFolio Video 2: Creating your menu bar and page structure
- eFolio Video 3: Adding basic content to your eFolio
- eFolio Video 4: Uploading Files to Your eFolio Site
- eFolio Video 5: Uploading Pictures To Your eFolio Site
Create your eFolioMN account:
- Go to: http://efoliomn.com > Sign Up (link on left) > Follow instructions (no group code needed)
- IMPORTANT: Use your Bethel email address
- Your password must have 8 characters; REMEMBER your password
- Go to http://efoliomn.com > click on "Login Version 2" icon on left
- Username = Bethel email address (or whatever email address you used when you signed up)
- Password = the password you created when you signed up
- Forgot your password? Enter your email address and click "Login continue…" > "click here if you forgot your password"
- Across the top are tabs titled "Build", "Mail", "Designs", "Utilities", "Accounts". Use these to navigate to the different areas in your workspace
- On the right are the tools used to create the web pages that will constitute your electronic portfolio. They are "Site", "Private" or "Public", and "Home"
- The middle section is where portfolio web pages are built
- On the left are the tools needed to build the portfolio web pages: "New Content", "To Do", "My Content" and "Trash"
Add an ePortfolio Site (Build):
- Click on the "Build" tab across the top ("Build" is the default)
- With the creation of your eFolioMN account you received a personal ePortfolio. This is designated with your name in the "Site" drop down box at screen right
- To add more ePortfolio sites:
- Click on the green "+" icon below the "Site" drop down box
- Name your site in the space for "Site Label" (normally this would be the name of your degree program)
- Give your site a URL Shortcut (this must be in lowercase with no spaces)
- Choose "public" or "private". Public means that anyone can see your ePortfolio. Private means that you can control who sees your ePortfolio site.
- Click "ok" at the bottom
Add web pages to your ePortfolio Site:
- Enter the site that you want to work in using the drop down box next to "Site" at screen right
- Click on the word "Home" at screen right
- A yellow tool box will appear with the choices "build", "Properties", "Add" and "Delete"
- Click on "Add"
- Give your new web page a Title and a URL Shortcut (lowercase; no spaces)
- Click "OK" at the bottom
- Add as many web pages as you like under "Home"
- In the same way you can add pages under other links besides home once you have created them.
- Click the "Preview" button to see your work as it will display to a visitor to your ePortfolio site
Add content to your workspace:
- Click on "New Content" at screen left
- Click on "Upload" > "File"
- A yellow tool box will appear. Click on the "upload" icon
- A form will appear in the middle of your screen. Fill out this form:
- Click on Browse to find the file that you want to upload in your computer directory
- Click on the file and click "open"; or double-click on the file
- Give your file a Title
- If you choose, give your file a description
- Leave the "Reflection" and "Feedback" areas blank
- Click "Save" at the bottom
- Your file has now been uploaded to your eFolioMN website and is available in your "My Content" area at lower screen left
- Upload as many files as you like
Create a "Basic" artifact:
- Click on "New Content" at screen left
- Click on "Add New" > Click on "General" > Click on "Basic"
- A yellow tool box will appear. Click on the "create" icon
Title, Brief Text, Full Text:
- Give your "Basic" artifact a title
- If you choose, include "Brief Text" which is a description of the artifact
- If you choose, include "Full Text"; copy and paste or type content that you want displayed. (i.e., a resume, contact info, professional goals, a welcome, etc.)
- If you choose, include "Related Content" which are files related to the artifact
- Click on "Related Content"
- Click on the "My Content" tab at lower screen left > File >
- Click on the file that you wish to include in this artifact
- Drag it in to the "Related Content" area in the middle of the screen
- If you choose, include a "Reflection" of the "Full Text" or the "Related Content"
- Click on "Reflections" > "Add"
- Type or paste your reflection in the text box
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the screen to save your reflection
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the screen to save your "Basic" artifact
Build your ePortfolio web pages:
- On the right, click on the web page that you would like to add content to (i.e., "Home", or any other web page that you created).
- A yellow tool box will appear, click on "Build"
- Notice the name of the of the web page that you chose is listed at the top of your work space in the yellow header
- Click on "My Content" at lower screen left
- Click on "Basic"
- Click on the "Basic" artifact that you would like to display on the chosen web page and drag it into the middle of your workspace
Define Content Properties:
Fields & Formatting:
- Move your mouse over the right side of the "Basic" artifact that you just dragged into your workspace to see a tool bar
- Click on the "Content Properties" icon which looks like a screw driver and wrench crossed
- In the screen that appears you will notice two tabs: "Fields & Formatting" and "Feedback Setup"
- In the "Fields & Formatting" tab, choose which fields in your "Basic" artifact you want to be visible to your viewers
- Click on the name of the field and choose if you want it visible or not by checking or unchecking the "Show Field" and "Show Label" fields under "Formatting"
- You can format the field further using the formatting icons to the right. Notice the preview that is available on the right
- Click "Ok"
- Click on the "Feedback Setup" tab
- Choose which forms of feedback you would like to allow viewers
- If you would like to have feedback viewable on your web pages click "Show received Feedback" and if you choose, "Show author names"
- Click "Ok"
Choose a look and feel for your ePortfolio site (Designs):
- Click on the "Design" tab across the top of the screen
- Under "Choose a design" at screen left, click on the "Design group" drop down box
- Choose a group from which you would like to view designs.
- The "Other MN Higher Ed" group includes the "Bethel University" design
- Click on the design you would like
- Click on "preview" or "apply" buttons, upper screen right
Share your PUBLIC eFolioMN site with others (Browse):
- you make your eFolioMN site public then anyone who has the web-address (URL) can access your account. Simply give them the URL that is in the browse bar of your browser (i.e., firstnamelastname.efoliomn.com).
- To make your eFolioMN site public in the "Build" tab make sure your have selected the site that you want to make public in the "Site" drop down box.
- Click on the drop down list towards top screen left that offers the choices "Private," "Public" and "Disabled"
- Choose "Public"
- Send the URL to those you want to have access.
Share your PRIVATE eFolioMN site with others (Accounts):
- If you have made your eFolioMN site "Private" then you will need to invite others to view your it
- Click on the "Accounts" tab at top screen right
- Click on "Visitors" at screen left
- Click on "Add New"
- Enter the First and Last name and email address of the person that you would like to give permission to view your site
- Click "Ok"
- That person will receive an email from eFolioMN with a link to your site
Mail and Feedback:
- Click on the "Mail" tab across the top of the screen
- Under "Inbox" at screen left view "Announcements", "Visitor Feedback", and "Sponsors and Partners"
- Click on the "Utilities" tab across the top of the screen to see a history of activity on your eFolioMN site