To recognize an employee who is leaving Bethel University voluntarily, a department has the discretion to use department funds as outlined below for a farewell party and/or gift.
|Years of service||Maximum amount for a party (includes gift amount)||Maximum amount for a gift|
|Less than 3||$0||$10-$15|
A department budget may be used to fund a farewell party for a benefits-eligible employee according to the guidelines above. A farewell gathering is optional, not required.
- A department budget may also be used to purchase a farewell gift for a benefits-eligible employee according to the guidelines above. A farewell gift is optional, not required.
- Only employees who are benefits-eligible qualify for a Bethel-funded farewell party and/or gift. To use institutional funds for an employee who is not benefits-eligible, approval from a senior vice president is required.
- The entire party amount does not have to be used. The entire gift amount does not have to be used.
- To use institutional funds over and above the guidelines, approval from a senior vice president is required. (For a departing senior vice president, approval from the president is required.) Otherwise, any expenses over and above the guidelines must be financed personally.
- The employee and his or her supervisor or department chair should discuss and decide what type of party is desired. Not all employees want a farewell gathering.
- The supervisor or department chair must contact the Office of Human Resources to verify years of service.
- The supervisor or department chair must contact the Office of Human Resources (651.638.6119 or email@example.com) to coordinate a farewell gathering. A department budget number is required.
- Suggestions for a farewell gathering include but are not limited to: a community reception in the Eastlund Room (or other available space on campus); a department lunch, pizza party, or picnic; or an informal open house where guests are invited to stop by the office and visit with the departing employee. Farewell gatherings may be hosted off campus if desired.
- Gift suggestions include but are not limited to: Bethel apparel from the Campus Store, a favorite book, or a photo album/memory book of the employee’s years at Bethel.