If you have any questions about the information contained in this Agreement, please do not hesitate to inquire of the
Office of Student Success and Retention.
- As a student within the Bethel teaching & learning community, I commit to:
- Be fully present: attentive, responsive, and engaged.
- Be responsible for myself and my actions.
- Presume welcome and extend welcome: in informal interactions, in small group discussion, and in large group discussions and interactions.
- Be a purposeful thinker: critical, creative, and reflective.
- Strive for high-quality work and perform with perseverance.
- Develop and practice new understandings and sensitivities to diversity.
- Demonstrate care and compassion and avoid assuming that my experience is normative for others.
- Refrain from fixing, saving, or correcting others in the community. I will turn to inquiry (wonder) rather than defense when an interaction becomes escalated.
- Pay attention to the distinction between dialogue (which begins with a question) and aggressive confrontation (verbal, non-verbal, or written). I will make sure my questions are sincere, rather than calculated to advance a hidden agenda.
- Remain open and receptive to constructive feedback and criticism related to my ongoing personal and professional formation.
- Maintain confidentiality when expected of me, especially regarding material shared by other students privately.
- I will check my bethel.edu email address regularly (at least every other day), and I will take full responsibility for knowing the content of all University, program, course and instructor announcements sent to my address. I will be accountable to respond to these announcements and messages as appropriate.
- I will be accountable for all required work in each of my courses and learning experiences, including adherence todeadlines and due dates.
- I will follow the principles of academic integrity as outlined in the Catalog (catalog.bethel.edu).
- I will assume full responsibility for class attendance and participation. I understand that due to the concentrated, accelerated nature of the programs and emphasis on participatory learning, all students are expected to be in attendance at every class session as scheduled, and to be actively engaged in online class activities each week, as befitting the modality of the course. I understand that class engagement is essential not only for individual learning, but also for group interaction. I understand that class absences or lack of online engagement will likely have a negative impact on my course grade.
- I will be accountable for contacting my instructor in the event of an absence or lack of online engagement, including absence due to illness or other emergency. I understand that I will be held responsible for the content and activities of the class session, even if I was not in attendance.
- I will assume full responsibility for completing coursework missed due to an absence, in a way satisfactory to the instructor. I understand that the instructor—at his or her discretion in the event of an absence—may or may not assign make-up work. I understand that certain absences will not be amenable to make up opportunities.
- I understand that my instructors will determine to what degree course absence (online or face-to-face) affect my course grade. In most circumstances, the course must be retaken if more than 20 percent of class time/online engagement is missed. In some circumstances, a course must be retaken if one class session is missed. If more than 20 percent of class time is missed (due to absence, tardiness, early departure, or lack of online engagement), the instructor and I must discuss whether continuing in the course is viable.
- I have received a copy of the Bethel University Racial and Ethnic Harassment (bethel.edu/racial-harassmentpolicy) and Sexual Misconduct (bethel.edu/sexual-misconduct-policy) policies, and I understand my rights and responsibilities related to these policies.