The check-in/check-out procedure at Bethel University has been established to help in the assessment of residence repair and replacement needs and to help create accountability for residents who damage rooms or furnishings. In addition, the check-in/checkout procedure is the instrument by which the Office of Residence Life develops and maintains occupancy information necessary for accurate housing occupancy.
When a student moves in or out of any residence within Bethel housing, including room-to-room transfers, a check-in/check-out procedure must be complete. Students must review and sign the appropriate forms as well as turn in room key at the checkout. By following the outlined procedures, check-in/check-out can go quickly, smoothly and economically. An improper check-in/check-out may result in up to a $150 fine.
Opening and Closing Dates
- New student move in day is Thursday, August 23. See Welcome Week information for more details.
- New students hired by departments requiring a day of training move in Wednesday, August 22. Students will be notified if training is required and a Wednesday move in is necessary.
- Returning student move in days are Friday, August 24 through Sunday, August 26. RA staff are available to check you in at your residence area Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Student must check-in prior to entering their room.
- Returning students who have permission to move in early (i.e. fall athletes, student leaders, etc.) must check-in at the Student Life Office on their assigned date. Roommates of these students are not permitted to move in early unless they are also approved for early arrival. It is each student’s responsibility to communicate this to their roommates. A fine of $25 per day will be charged to anyone who moves in before their assigned date as well as to the student who lets in an unapproved resident.
- Residence halls close for Christmas Break at noon on Saturday, December 15.
- Residence halls open at noon on Wednesday, January 2. Returning students moving back for the remainder of the year must check in with RA staff.
- Interim move outs must be completed by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 25.
- Residence halls open for move in on Saturday, February 2.
- New students: refer to your Welcome Week move in schedule for exact move in times for your building.
- All residences close at noon on Saturday, May 25. Graduating seniors may remain until 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 26.
Students must check-in with an RA to their assigned room by 3 p.m. of the second official day of classes. If an exception is needed, students must notify the Office of Residence Life prior to the first official day of classes.
A room key and Room Condition form are given to each student. Student is responsible for returning the Room Condition form to the Student Life office the day following check in. Daily late charges apply for missing forms.
Residences are closed during Christmas Break with the exception of North Village and Heritage Hall. Once a residence is closed, students will not have access to rooms until the residence re-opens. Entry into a closed hall room or suite during these periods will be accommodated by Bethel Security at a cost of $25.
Students who need to remain on campus during any portion of a break MUST complete an online request by posted deadline. It is the student’s responsibility to find a friend, classmate, or teammate who lives in an open residence area to stay with. This applies to individuals on teams and groups remaining during break.
Mid Year Check-in
Student must check in during specific Check-in hours communicated by the office of Residence Life. Student must notify staff 24 hours in advance if they will not be able to arrive during Check-in hours. Roommates may not allow early access to the room. It is the student's responsibility to contact the RA to check in properly. Avoid an improper check-in fine of up to $150 by following guidelines.
Mid Year Check-Out
The housing agreement is for the entire academic year. If a student needs to break the agreement during the year, student must cancel in writing with the Residence Life office. Student is responsible for the charges until the office has officially been notified. All cancellation dates apply. See Housing Agreement Cancellation for important deadline dates.
During the year, a Self-Check-out process is used. Student must pick up a Self-Check-out Packet from the Student Life office. Packet includes checkout instructions, cleaning guide, checkout confirmation form to sign and an envelope for the key. Packet is due back to the Student Life office upon move out. Improper Checkout Fine of $150.00 for any student not completing the Self-Checkout.
Students must check out of rooms within 24 hours of their last exam. Permission to remain longer must be obtained from the residence life staff.
Each student must sign up for a check-out time with the RA. At the agreed-upon time, the RA will check the residence for damages and cleanliness and collect the key. Students must be present at check-out, and the residence must be clean and in good order before check-out can be approved. Failure to do this will result in an improper checkout fine of up to $150. A student who is late to check-out will be charged $25 for every hour late.
Resident Director assesses room for any damages and notifies student of fines or damage charges through their Bethel email account. Charges are made to student’s Bethel account.
- No labels